The different types of activated carbon can be categorized depending on:
- The source materials
- Bituminous coal, anthracite, coconut shells, wood, peat, lignite, …
- In theory all carbon-containing materials can be used.
- The physical form
- Powder, granular, cylindrical (pellets), spherical, …
- The activation process
- Steam activation or chemically enhanced activation (by adding dehydrating salts such as calcium chloride, magnesium chloride and zinc chloride).
- The post-treatment
- Wash, sieve, dedust, impregnation, …